Foundation courses run in Prague, Czech and Malvern, UK
The second option is a partnership with Charles University in Prague Institute for Language and Preparatory Studies. The curriculum is very similar to the Abbey College one, but is more suited to independent-minded individuals who want to gain a flavour of Prague itself before joining the main degree course.
As well as the academic tuition, students at both locations are offered optional trips to visit some of the Czech-based universities on a formal visit, where they can get a feel for the universities themselves before making their final choices.
Foundation Course Route
The Foundation courses are suitable for:
- Those students who have sat ‘A’ level examinations or equivalent and have not obtained 3 grade ‘C’s (September start) or 3 grade ‘B’s (January start).
- Those students who have trained at ‘A’ level or equivalent in a non-scientific background (we can advise on receipt of a C.V.).
- Those who have completed the first year of ‘A’ or ‘AS’ levels or equivalent in the area of science (1 year required); under some circumstances such students may wish to combine taking the Foundation course with taking the second year of A Levels, thereby giving increased options.
- Those who have failed the university entrance exams and require more knowledge to pass them.
- Those who are looking for a career change.
- If interested in the Foundation course, please ask for our separate brochure (Prague / UK) and application form (Prague / UK).
Abbey College in Prague
The Czech-based programme in Prague, which is taught in English, – aims to prepare students for the examination for entry into undergraduate year 1 Medical Programme. It is a collaboration between Abbey College and Charles University.
English Language where needed
Czech and Latin (not assessed)
Lessons are taught mainly by the lecturers who also teach the main degree course (see above photo). Students have access to a Student Liaison Officer, who meets students on arrival, helps them to settle in, plans the social programme and is on hand throughout the year. Students have access to Charles University facilities and privileges in the same way that degree course students have. Ensuite accommodation is provided on-campus, in the same building as where the classes take place.
Abbey College in Malvern
The UK-based Foundation Programme is offered at Abbey College in Malvern, the Head Office for EMUCAS.
English Language and ICT where needed
Abbey College in Malvern is a fully residential British boarding school and English language centre, set on a 70 acre campus in one of the safest and most beautiful areas of central England.
The average class size is only seven, enabling teachers to understand the needs of each individual student. This has been the basis for a record of strong academic achievement, with a high percentage of students going on to some of the EU’s best established universities.
Student Profile Rakan Alotaibi
“When the results of my first year studying A Levels were lower than expected, I thought I had lost my chance of studying medicine at university. However, after successfully completing Abbey College’s Medical Foundation programme, I will now be studying medicine at one of the best universities in Europe.”